Re: Vibration

To: Jim Davis <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Vibration
From: Richard Good <goodparts@desupernet.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:40:13 -0400
The axle splines have one spline missing so they can only be assembled one way.
The driveshaft splines are not polarized and can be assembled wrong. Having the
yoke axes parallel means that the splines should be assembled so that the yokes
on each end are turned the same way. If you lay the driveshaft on a table the
flat surface of the yoke on each end should lay flat on the table.

If a driveshaft is cut and re-welded, it must be welded in the correct position
so the joke axes are parallel.

This is because a universal joint operating at an angle will change velocity as
it rotates. (This is why we have CV (constant velocity) joints for front wheel
drives.) The harder the angle, the more the velocity changes as it turns. The
output of the trans can be turning at a steady rate but the driveshaft will
speed

up and slow down twice with each revolution. If the yoke axes are parallel AND
the angle of the u-joint at the other end is the same but opposite, the velocity
changes will be neutralized and the diff flange will turn at a steady rate. The
TR6 driveshaft u-joints operate at a very minimal angle so it is not a huge deal
but it could vibrate if assembled wrong.

Rotating the driveshaft 180 degrees in relation to the trans and/or diff flange
can help IF you happen to have some driveshaft runout AND trans flange/diff
flange runout that happened to be in the same direction. Try one end at a time.

Richard Good