RE: Aluminum Header

To: "John Korsak" <jkorsak@heath-bloxom.com>,
Subject: RE: Aluminum Header
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:00:06 -0700
        John:

        Interesting.

        While the advantage of light weight is obvious, it seems no one uses
aluminum for headers
and I must ask "why?".
        The fatigue resistance of aluminum is very poor relative to steel, and
it is
generally more difficult to mandrel bend aluminum tubing without cracking it. I
suspect
that the poor fatigue resistance of AL makes in a good deal less durable that
steel in
a street type application.
        The much lower melting point of aluminum means that if your mixture is
off,
you will destroy them, and then there is the question of noise. I would guess
that
aluminum does a better job of damping the exhaust noise, but that is just a
guess.
        Let us know what you find out.

        Regards,

        Vance