Two TR250 issues

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two TR250 issues
From: Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:49:08 -0400
Hello List
This is a late thank you to all who responded a couple weeks ago about my
vibration problem at >65mph and the white smoke when I coast at high rpms.
Here's an update.

I just completed a change over from 72 spoke chrome wire wheels to 6 inch
Panasports with Yokohama 205/65/15 AVS dB S2 tires.  I had to swap out all of
the wheel studs to make the change.  This wasn't too difficult at the rear
wheels, but in the front, it meant dismantling the entire hub, even separating
the hub and rotor, in order to insert the new, longer studs.  When I started on
the L front, I checked the play in the wheel by grabbing the top and bottom of
the tire and rocking it while the R wheel stayed on the ground.  There was some
slight play there that I eliminated upon reassembly.  When I moved on to the R
side, I found significant play in the hub.  I can only assume that the felt
compresses with use, creating the need to recheck after a couple hundred miles
after a front end rebuild.  I've put 3000 miles on the car since I got it back
together in May, so shame on me.  I drove last night on the highway and cruised
at 80 with only a slight vibration.  I'm going to check the play again this
afternoon as I think I'm still a little loose.  I can't give any feedback yet
on the wheels and tire setup, but when I'm comfortable with my hub settings,
I'll take it on some spirited driving on some winding country roads and report
back.  The hub story is good news since many, including myselft, suspected a U
joint in the drive shaft.  All six of my u-joints were replaced with new by a
professional LBC mechanic back in March, so I'm glad that this does not appear
to be the issue.

As far as the smoke is concerned, I believe that I have worn valve guides as
well as worn rings.  I don't think it's the head gasket as my oil is clean, or
at least it appears free of coolant.  I'm just going to drive as-is until I run
out of nice weather and decided to dive into the engine this winter.  I'll just
use my car's condition strategically when someone is tailgating a little too
close!

Thanks again for all the responses and assistance.

Andy
CD6521L