RE: shaking steering wheel

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>
Subject: RE: shaking steering wheel
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:06:35 -0400
Ok,

I thought you meant that you had bought two new tires! I guess if I were
more up to date on my brand names I would have known you were referring
to wheels...LOL

You really need to know that the wheels have been balanced properly
before you can move on to the next. The reason; the problem seems to be
worse with the new wheels. If you can find someone that has the right
equipment, yet they seem to be having a hard time correcting an out of
balance condition, suggest that they rotate the tire 180 deg. on the
wheel. Often times this will drastically reduce the amount of weight
necessary to bring the assembly into balance.

It would be best if you could find an "old timer" with a hunter on the
car wheel balancer.

Be sure to dial indicate the wheels again, now that you have some miles
on them!

BTW: Were the guys at Hendrix wire wheel not able to do the balance
work? I may have missed something in your post, but it would seem like
the name would be synonymous with "total wire wheel service".

The guys at Massey's wheel and alignment could take care of it, but they
are in Smithfield/Selma. I'm thinking that's about 70-80 miles away.

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout

Jim
The old Dunlop wire wheels were out of round and "un"-true.  The guys at

Hendrix wire wheel in Greensboro NC shaved the new tires to round, and
did the
best they could to "true" the wheels, but they were too far gone.
Therefore, I
bought new Dayton wheels.  I checked the run-out before the tires were
mounted,
and the wheels required no adjustment.  Unfortunately, the shaking is as
bad
with the new "true" wheels if not worse than with the old wheels.
Joe Davis