RE: TR6 Valve Length

To: "'Nick Gemas'" <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Valve Length
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:45:55 -0400
Nick,

In terms of the valve train geometry, the relative location of the valve
tip is most important.

I may be mistaken, but I assume from your post that you are trying to
determine whether or not your valves are too long thus causing the
problems with your rocker installation. The overall valve length will
not provide a conclusive answer if you have had any sort of extensive
valve, (head), work done prior to assembly. I will be glad to elaborate
if this seems misleading.

Assuming that the valve spring land area has not been cut, you should
measure 1.675-1.680 from the spring land to the valve tip, (you will
need to remove the spring to accurately take this measurement). This
value, (as measured), will let you know whether or not the, (rocker
critical), geometry of your engine has been altered from O.E.M. spec. A
.010"-.020" differential will make no difference. A .080"-.125"
difference would be a red flag as to why your rockers do not align
properly!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout