Re: Transmission Removal - Also thrust washers

To: tr6nut@sbcglobal.net, mitchvamos@operamail.com, hrmcaleer@bellsouth.net,
Subject: Re: Transmission Removal - Also thrust washers
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:31:27 EDT
List,
special thanks to HRM, Hugh and Mitch for getting back to with with tranny
removal procedures which allowed me to pull the tranny in about 45 minutes.
Next time (if there is one) I will only be faster!  Now for the bad news:  much
to my dismay, I had installed the clutch correctly - my point is, is the
orientation of the clutch disk was NOT the reason why the tranny would not go
into
gear with the engine running.  Hugh, you had suggested looking at the thrust
washers, so I set up a plunge gauge and pulled the flywheel back and forth and
got 14 thousandths - my manual says between 6 and 8 thou.  Could 6-7 thou.
cause my situation?  Regardless I want to change them out, but here is my next
dilemma:  oversized thrust wasters are available in 5 and 15 thou.  If I use
the
5 thou. it won't bring me into the recommended range and 15 thou with lock the
crank up.  Is my 14 thou play deemed enough to even touch the washers?
Barring the thrust washers, what else could be the culprit to prevent gear
selection (when engine is off, tranny goes into gear fine).  One last thing,
when it
came time to install the bushing into the flywheel, I ended up using the old
one because the new LUK bushing was at least a 16th thicker than the old one
(it
looked as though it would almost prevent the flywheel mating properly to the
crank), and did not spin freely in the flywheel like the old one did.  Any
significance here?
Thanks and sorry my problems are so long winded,
Geoff Parker
74 TR6