RE: Pushrods and rocker pedestals (Tim)

To: "'Timothy Holbrook'" <tjh173@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pushrods and rocker pedestals (Tim)
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:13:59 -0400
Tim,

Your point is well taken, and for the most part I agree. I do, at times,
tend to be a smart-ass!

< Jim, this is supposed to be a list to share information and help
people solve technical problems.>

I assume that you have yet to read the follow up regarding this.

It is "VERY" important to check the centering of the rockers. If they
don't line up there is something wrong. If the roller tip travels along
the end of the valve stem more than .012" something is wrong. Nick had
said that his were traveling .070". This is an excessive amount, and
Nick should not be left to believe that this is either acceptable or
unavoidable. I have another series of diagrams that depict this effect
if anyone is interested.

<All you needed to do was explain that a rocker arm moves in an arc, and
therefore the tip will move across the valve stem when moving through
this arc, which therefore means that the rocker tip can only be centered
on the valve stem at one point in its arc, and so there is no real value
in checking this centering.>

In my opinion there was only one real piece of advice, (that someone
could give unless having installed these parts), and I gave it.

"Nick should call Ted"

<In fact, in reading through your email, I find that there isn't a
single piece of advice or knowledge relayed to the reader (it's true,
read each sentence, not a single piece of valuable advice).>

[As Nathaniel Herreshoff said "working with fiberglass is like wrestling
eels in a bucket full of slime"]

[Carefully look at the problem at hand, and the solution will become
apparent!]

This was not intended to get anyone upset. There are 99 ways that
manufacturers attach door panels. It should have been obvious that I
wasn't sure how to remove the door panel. I was merely suggesting that a
little patience and help from the list would resolve the problem.

This was just humor for those who have "wrestled with door panels", and
also know a little about boat related stuff. If anyone knew what I was
talking about and thought it was completely stupid, go ahead and say
so...I don't care.

<Please quit with the meaningless comments, as well as the rude ones.
No one appreciates it.  Most of the time I wince when I read your
emails.  I think your "humor" (if that's what you like to call it)
appeals to a very small minority on this list.>

I'm not K-mart, and the rockers are not made in China. There are things
that I have no control over. The price not only impacts the wallets of
those who purchase them, it also dictates the process by which they are
made. Low cost, and low volume do not mix to well. My rockers are
quality pieces, and there is no reason for them to cost any more than
they do. I was hoping for a small volume, 50 sets or so, so that I could
roll the small amount I get from it into inventory; thereby eliminating
the wait. In other words don't assume that I am cruising along at
10,000Ft. with a pocket full of cash! The balloon has to inflate before
it can deflate.

<My guess is the only thing keeping you afloat at this point is the lure
of your cheap roller rockers. But since you have yet to deliver on the
majority of your orders, I think this balloon will deflate rather
quickly, and you'll soon find yourself chased out by a cyber-mob.>

PS: Also, what is with your affinity with exclamation points?!!!

I have no idea! Bad grammar I guess!

Jim Swarthout