Static Timing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Static Timing
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 13:35:09 EDT
List,
first, thanks to all to who responded to my 180 degrees out of phase
question.  Turns out that Dick punching out the pin idea would have worked,
except the
pin hole was not centered on the shaft, so spinning it 180 and trying to
replace the pin was an impossibility.  Instead, I followed another's great
advice
and lifted out the gear and turned that 180.  Worked great and I thank you.
Next timing question:  First, contacts properly gapped.  I did the static
timing procedure in my manual and it states that the test light should come on
at
about 24 BTDC and go off at about 10 BTDC.  Mine comes on at about 30-40 BTDC
(off the scale) and goes out at about 30-40 ATDC (again off the scale).  I had
an unmarked new pulley which I etched in new timing marks myself - I was very
accurate in doing this so I know this is not the problem.    Looking at the
contacts, there is no way the light could go out in 30 or so degrees because
the
contacts are still closed.  Advice please.  I doubt this has anything to do
with my hotter cam but I'll mention that anyway.
Thanks,
Geoff Parker
74 TR6