RE: American car question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: American car question
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:29:27 -0400
I'm no A/C guru at all, but I just had my Buick Regal 1991 converted to a
new refrigerant for the cost of $140 Canadian. I assume it was 134A. I did
have the condenser and compressor replaced as well, but that was not part of
the conversion, but because they had died from aging (the system wasn't
working at all). A friend had his GM converted as well for the $140 without
changing any large components.

I found this link which seems to make it look simpler

http://www.carpartsales.com/Interdynamics_r-134a_air_conditioning_conversion
_kit_10686.html

There was some intermediate stage of A/C in cars from 1996-1999 or 2000 that
was less efficient and involved bigger components. Then I thought they had
found a refrigerant that was size-wise compatible with the old systems and
sizes.

However it was done, both cars are cooling very nicely. Anyway just my
recent experience.

Mark Hooper