centalizing rear brakes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: centalizing rear brakes
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:40:10 EDT
I just put new wheel cylinders and shoes on my car.  After installation, I
noted a distinct "rub" at a certain point in the rotation of each wheel when
adjusted according to the book.  I can't get a free spin on the rear wheels
unless I loosen the adjusters a lot.  I noted that there is a lot of room for
fore-aft  moment in  the placement of the wheel cylinder.   After using a new
set
of spring and locking plates, the cylinder is not completely secure.  It  still
wants to move fore-aft a little (as observed with the brake drum off). Is
there a way of centralizing the rear brakes, or is this accomplished
automatically with application of the brakes? How does one know that side to
side,
fore-aft balance of the brakes is correct?
Joe Davis