RE: Ballast resistor question

To: "'Navarrette, Vance'" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ballast resistor question
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:20:07 -0400
Vance,

Fantastic explanation!

I would like to add a bit more...kind of on the mechanical side for all
to get a visual.

An ignition coil actually consists of two different coils of copper
wire. The primary coil is made up of, let's say, 100 turns of copper
wire of a certain gauge. The secondary is made up of 2000 turns of a
smaller gauge wire.

Amps X Volts = Watts

12V X 3amps = 36 watts

At the time the points close the primary coil is momentarily energized.
When the points open the magnetic field is transferred, (collapses), to
the secondary coil of fine wire consisting of many more turns.

This results in a low current, high voltage output...i.e. "spark"

There are losses or perpetual motion would be the norm of the day!

Result...24,000V X 15 milliamps = 36 watts.

We've just converted a low voltage high current source to a high voltage
low current Spark...which makes fuel ignite!

Jim Swarthout