Speedometer not working...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer not working...
From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dc_bruin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:33:46 -0700
The speedometer in my '74 works only sporadically -- sometimes it'll work at
the beginning of a drive, but it won't work for long.  Without investigating
at all, I replaced the speedometer cable, but that seems to have had no
effect.  When I attached the new cable to the transmission, I was expecting
to have to twist it around a little to get it to seat into something, but I
never was able to get it to seat at all.  I've driven the car around with
the cable off the back of the speedo and it exhibits the same behavior as
when its attached: I can see the cable spinning sporadically.

Anybody else go through this?  There look to be some components that can be
replaced on the Transmission end, can these be replaced with the
transmission on the car?

Dwayne Cooper
'74