RE: SU conversion for TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SU conversion for TR6
From: JASandPJS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:47:05 EDT
About 3 years ago I was having major problems with my ZS, tried the rebuild
route and wasn't satisfied with the results.  Found a place in New York that
offered a SU conversion (carbs and linkage) for the TR6 (they look like what
Moss is currently offering for the conversion but Moss wasn't selling this
setup
at the time).  Bought it, expensive, and was very please with the results,
smooth through the entire rpm range and no going out of adjustment.  Not
bashing
ZS, many have them, love them, with little or no problems but this conversion
work well for me.  Then last year I got the hotrod bug and had the engine
rebuilt, overbored, GP2 cam, 1.65 rollers, 10 to 1 compression, port matched,
ported & polished, headers, etc.  (and I thought the SU carb conversion was
expensive!).  With all this done I found I needed more carb and after
considering
all the options (and my type of driving) I decided on going with two 2" SU
carbs
off a wrecked Jag (I think it was a '72).  I was able to use the linkage from
my earlier conversion to the 1.75" SUs and had the carb side of the intake
manifold machined to match the 2" carb throat and after testing found that the
stock needles in the 2" SUs worked perfectly with my new engine.  Bottom line
on SU conversion, from the fence post I'm sitting on, its a win win but not
cheap (not that anything is on these cars).

John, '71 TR6
Charleston, WV

>Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:54:48 -0700
>From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: SU convertion for TR6 ?

>Pat,

>With all due respect, I for one will not be offended by the list being
>"bombed" by a public reply to your question.  Quite the contrary, I find
>your questions interesting and would like to know the answers, too.  I've
>wondered if the difference in performance between the Z-S 175's and the SU's
>is more than just size.

>Gary
'>73

SU Conversion Carb for the TR6 motor ?

> I'm told they bolt right on using the same linkages.....?
> Don't suppose anyone has some for sale ?
> Any suggestions on where to go and est. cost of them ?
> What do you think of them ?
>
> What is the advantage of this "kit" verses getting hold of a pair of a TR4
or what ever ?

> If you could please reply to me directly at pleask@shaw.ca I'd appreciate
it (so we don't bomb the group)