RE: Electrical problem

To: <Janewrite@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical problem
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:00:40 -0700
Stuart,

1. Which direction did the ampmeter go whe it went off scale??
2. do the emergency flashers work?
3. does the cubby(glove box) lamp come on?
4. did the horn honk?
5. did the courtesy lamps get dimmer as you added loads? Here I mean with
door open one lamp comes on, then open the glove box, do the lamps get
dimmer?

6.  Did you notice the "$600.00" smell, that oh so nice smell of hot wires?

if the answer to 2,3& 4 above is yes but nothing else works inspect the
brown wire running from the ampmeter to the starter motor.  If the meter is
off scale to the discharge side (I suspect that's where it is) disconnect
the brown/red wire from the alternator (should be a plug and it's the real
heavy wire).

I doubt it's the ignition switch because the head lamps are not fed through
the switch.  THe ampmeter is possible but again not real likly because the
connection in the meter approximates a large lump of copper.  The meter is
really a sensitive meter(low current) that reads the voltage drop across an
internal shunt.

To elininate the meter go to your local hardware store and get a
couple(probably a pack of 5) crimpon, male yellow spade connectors.  crimp a
short piece of 14 gauge (12 is better/bigger)wire (house wire is OK) and pop
the ammeter out of the dash.  pull off the two push on connectors and attach
them to the jumper you made.  If the meter is bad the car should come to
life.

another place to look is the cable from the negative terminal to the
frame/block.  A bad ground would let the low current lamps work but not the
higher current (head lamps, ignition etc) work.

Hope this helps a bit,

As an aside I found EVERY one of my bullet splices bad when I had my 72
apart last year,  They are cheap and easy to replace

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com