More on syncing/tuning Strombergs

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on syncing/tuning Strombergs
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:07:22 -0500
Hey Everyone,
Well it was a long night, but I got there part way. After adjusting the timing
to 10-deg BTDC, as was recommended by a number of esteemed enthusiasts...she
ran even WORSE! Sooo, then my timing light strobe started working
erratically...problem w/ #1 plug wire. Fixed that, and...on the side of
caution...went with the book spec of 4-deg ATDC, and she ran better.
Switched my attention to the carbs. Found the throttle linkage was NOT gapped
to 3/32 between tongue and slot, so I fixed that. Had a set of interconnect
spring clamps for the throttle linkage, so I put them on and performed the
sync procedure w/ a UniSyn.
Then, I performed the mixture test, as described in Bentley- lifting the
needle < inch with the tip of a screwdriver...both carbs caused the engine to
sputter and stall when I tried this- ah-HA! Too lean a mixture, right?

So...I get out the ol' mixture adjustment tool...being careful to hold the
stationary part still so as not to stretch or tear the diaphragm...well I
moved them both a quarter turn to enrich...nothing. Another quarter
turn...nothing. A HALF turn more (still turning clockwise to
enrich)...nothing! The test still causes the engine to stall- a sign of a lean
mixture (so says Bentley).

Alright. What the HELL is going on here? So I pull the dashpot and carefully
examine the needle where it seats. No amount of adjustment is moving the
thing, and what's worse...removal of the grub (set) screw and the needle STILL
won't come out. I gently pulled on it, but it is held fast with a spring. I
fear I've either stripped the adjuster or...is there another explanation??

Anyway, I put them back together and fired her up, and I did achieve a very
nice and steady idle- best sounding (at ~800-900 rpm) one I've heard all
night. Too late to run for another test drive, and today it's raining like
crazy.

I think I'll regroup, and pray for some good advice on how to proceed further.

Pete
'76 CF51563U