3.45 to 1 differential application? also looking for . . .

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: 3.45 to 1 differential application? also looking for . . .
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:44:50 +0000
Hi,

This is my first post.  I'm about to take my 1969 TR6 for its first legal
drive in 17 years.  It was in storage until last year.  I'm in debt but have
a vague smile on my face.  You should hear her run.  After intensive and
near complete mechanical restoration, which included a higher performance
engine rebuild, it has become obvious that I am way undergeared.  RPMs are
far too high at 65 mph.  So I'm looking to change that.

And herein my question: does anyone know all of the original applications of
the 3.45 to 1 rear differential ratio.  Triumph definitely made them.  I
believe the UK petrol injection cars had it.  But I'm wondering whether
there were any US or Canadian-based cars with them (possibly some
combination of either 4A,250,5 or 6, with or without overdrive)?  I ask this
so I know where to start looking.

Does anyone have a 3.45 to 1 diff to sell?  Of course I'd really like an
overdrive transmission but like I said, I'm now very much on the poor side.
Nevertheless, let me know if anyone has an OD trans for sale that the'd be
willing to part with.  I have a rebuilt early-TR6 long block engine that I
can trade.  With the last of my money I bought a set of refinished,
inspected, powdercoated wire wheels for the car.  I suppose that I'm willing
to sell or trade those too if an overdrive trans becomes available.  The
gearing really needs to be fixed.  (And yes, I do have Michelin Redline
tires on the car, which is to say that I don't have lower profile tires on
the car that are reducing the rpms at highway speeds.)  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert