Re: Click in rear wheel

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Click in rear wheel
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:45:44 -0400
Don,
You did not mention what type of wheel you have. Do you have the original
"rostyle" hub cap wheels, or "wire", or the 6 style with trim rings, or
maybe an aftermarket?
That said, there are many possibilities, but to suggest a simple thing
first...
If you have wire wheels, maybe the spline to adaptor connection is loose.
If you have the "rostyle" caps, or the trim rings-ala TR6- the steel
wheel can flex as it rotates causing the retainer clips to creak or pop.
If this is the case simply try a drive san cap or trim ring, and see if
the noise is still there.
If the noise remains, nothing lost...if it is gone, a light spritz of
lube on the retatiner springs followed by a good wiping of most all of
the lube could clear it up. Another cure for the retainers is to try
putting a bit more tension into the spring, or repositioning it on the
wheel itself obtaining a better "bite", and eliminating the "creak".
As for the more serious causes, I will leave that to someone elses
experiences.

Hopefully the easy fix is the cure.

Good luck,

Mark Riddle
'72 TR6 with new Panasports-no trim rings to make popping and cracking
noises!