RE: Head Gasket Thickness

To: "'Nick Gemas'" <gln@worldpath.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head Gasket Thickness
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:51:47 -0400
Nick,

Provided that you have your timing chain installed correctly; there is
not even a small chance that your pistons will collide with the valves.
As I said before, in stock form with the pistons at TDC, the valves can
be fully opened .510" without hitting the pistons. It's close, but they
don't hit!

Soooo.....

Let's look at your scenario:

You have milled the head .080-.100", and your valves open to a maximum
of .443"

Let's assume that at the very moment your timing chain breaks, (because
this is the only possible way the valves are going to hit the pistons),
one of your valves is fully open; IT MIGHT GET SLIGHTLY BENT!

With the minor modifications you have described you do not need to worry
about the valves hitting the pistons. This is not a chevy engine running
high comp pistons with a roller cam! You won't need to mill the pistons!

Jim Swarthout