TR6 Emission Controls

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Emission Controls
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:16:46 EST
Jon,
I replaced my anti-run-on valve as part of my attempt to straighten out a
carb problem.  Turns out it may have not been my anti run-on valve as much as
it was the oil pressure switch.  I believe it is the brown wire from the oil
pressure switch to the anti run-on valve that shuts off the voltage to the
anti run-on valve when oil pressure drops, hopefully indicating your engine
has been shut down.  Just as the engine about stops turning over, you should
hear a click from the anti run-on valve letting you  know it is open.  There
are many more people on the list who know a lot more about this than I do and
so they can correct my errors.

As to the charcoal canister, mine was in sad shape.  The wire was rusted out
and so I removed everything and washed out the inside of the canister.  I
first thought that I would make a large pouch with a screen materal and sew
charcoal pellets inside.  I went to a pet store to see what they had and I
found a charcoal impregnated foam mesh that was about 1/2 inch thick.  I used
the bottom of the canister to draw 6 to 8 circles and cut them out.  Then
folded the round pieces and stuffed them inside until I filled up the
canister.  Seems to work great.  I think the mesh charcoal filter I purchased
was about $8.00.

Good luck.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN

Hello fellow listers!

I have a 1974 TR6.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can answer :

1. how do you know if you need to replace the anti run-on valve?
I am almost sure that mine is original...is there a way to test it?

2. does anyone know what to use as a replacement for the hose
that goes from the carbon canister to the anti run-on valve? The
item is NLA from any of the vendors; any suggestions? This is
the hose that looks like the letter "C".

3. I have taken the carbon canister apart - what do you suggest
I clean the screens / filters with that are inside the canister? I have
removed all the charcoal and I am wanting to get it all cleaned
out before I put it back together.

Can't wait for the wisdom of the list to help me out!!

Cheers, Jon