Steel flywheels and aluminum front hubs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Steel flywheels and aluminum front hubs
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:51:56 -0500
All,

I spoke with Bob at Southwick Machine (309-949-2869).  I have asked him to
prepare two estimats for producing 5 and 10 8.5lb steel flywheels for the
later TR6 crank.  He will get that to me early next week.  Clearly, the
quote for 5 units will be more expensive than a quote for 10, because there
is a significant set-up time for the CNC milling machine.  Of course, if we
could get TRF/Moss/TSI/Goodparts on board to increase the production run,
then the cost would be even less.  I'll let y'all know next week.

As for the alloy front hubs, they are a stock dimension in that they do not
increase the front track, and will bolt right up to the car and wheel.  He
uses oversized Timken bearings, which alone cost over $130,
so I dont know how he can sell complete hub pairs for $400.  He uses better
studs as well.  The big bearings will not have to be replaced as often.
Racers tell me that the stock bearings last half a season, but the big
Timkens will last 2 seasons.  That fact alone makes the investment
worthwhile without even considering the advantages of reducing the unsprung
weight.

Give Bob a call if you are interested.  As always, I have no financial
interest in this, other than to encourage owners to support this small
industry that manufacture for us better, safer and more attractive parts
than the "stock" parts made on the other side of the Pacific.

Shane Ingate, as always, in Maryland