RE: Radiator Shroud

To: "Peter Zaborski" <plz@shaw.ca>, "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Radiator Shroud
From: "Pappin,Ian" <ianp@nait.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:22:53 -0700
Last fall I replaced both my cardboard radiator shroud and the walls of my
trunk with a one-side-textured poly (I can't remember the thickness but logic
should prevail) 8' x 4' sheet I purchased through a local plastics product
distributor.  Once you tell them what the application is they should be able to
tell you what to use.  The cost of the sheet was 32.00 cdn and I had plenty
left over for poor cuts or improvements.  I used the existing cardboard as a
template and drew the shape on masking tape, then cut the material with a jig
saw.  It was quite easy but you do need access to a plastics heater to mold the
plastic.  If you can't get/rent one they are pretty easy to manufacture.  If
you can get a stove element (used, new, the wife's, whatever) and purchase a
cheap thermostat to control output you have it beat.  Just dado out a 1 inch
grove in a 2x4 or 2x6 so the element does not contact the plastic but heats it
from below.  The longer the element the better.  A heat gun might work but even
heat will be hard to create.  Heat the plastic by trial and error until it is
pliable.  Hold the piece in place to the bend you need over the edge of a table
or bench with a sharp edge until the rigidity returns and voila.  As the
plastic is hot I recommend using more wood blocks to hold it in place plus this
will result in a sharper more even finish.  It took all of 3 hours for all
including instillation.  Sure it's easier to just buy it but this is kind of
fun to manufacture and its cheap.  I think the results are excellent.

Just an option

Ian Pappin 76 TR6