EFI on TR 6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: EFI on TR 6
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:28:00 -0800 (PST)
I thought this off net response to my/our previous posts might be of interest
to the net.  If someone is successfully running the megasquirt setup I haven't
heard anything from them.  From the below note from Jean R, I'm assuming that a
"rolling road" is a real wheel dynamometer, 135 rw HP sounds great to me.  I do
think that $5,000 is a little steep and still hope to hear that someone has
tamed the  approximately $3,000 Megasquirt EFI setup.  Thanks for the
information Jean.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6

Mike Lunsford

.  I have
made lots of inquiries of six pack listers who were "in the process" of
installing EFI on their sixes but have not heard of a single person who
got it sorted out and was bragging about the results.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6

-----------------
Hello Mike,
Just saw your message on the 6 pack list. You are very right, here
in Europe some people are fiddling around with EFI systems, but
you seldom get a fair response on the results.
Neil Revington from Revingtontr in U.K. has compiled  EFI  kits for all
TR models, the kits are based
He uses parts available for racing/rally cars and you have the
choice between 2 systems based on two manufacture products,
Lumenition or Webcon Alpha, crank or dizzy triggered with mapped
fuel and ignition.
These kits do not come cheap, average 5k USD.
I run the most simple of the kits since 3 years on my 70 TR6PI and
I must say, I'm very happy with it. The car is only used for fast road
travel, not for competition and my goal was to keep it as simple as
possible. For calibration and mapping of the fuel/ignition
parameters the car spent more than 4 hours on a rolling road in
U.K. and the result  was 135 HP on the rear wheels, what is not
bad for a standard PI engine, with an average of around 105 HP for
the Lucas injected engine.
The main reason for me to have the engine modified was the never
ending problems with the Lucas injection system in warm weather
combined with the unleaded fuel of variable quality. Realize that
calibration of the Lucas metering units is very basic, to say it's not
possible to reach maximum performance over the complete rev.
range, with EFI there is no limitation, with the proper software a
Lamda probe and a Laptop you can modify any parameter.
If you go to the TR Registry data bank you can see the system
look under TR6 commission # CP50265LP.
This system really works.
Regards
Jean R