RE: Carburettor rebuild questions

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carburettor rebuild questions
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 22:04:01 -0500
I rebuilt my recently with some advice from my LBC.  First, I dismantled them
and cleaned off all of the grease and baked-on goodnees with mineral spirits
and a stiff nylon brush or a brass wire brush.  I didn't want to scratch the
aluminum body.  I then had all the parts media blasted with glass beads.  Now
comes the tough part.  Wearing goggles, I spent about an hour shooting air into
all of the orifices and cracks to get all the glass out.  A clogged needle can
easily happen if this isn't done.  After feeling confident that I got to all of
the glass, I sprayed all the parts with carb and choke cleaner to bring back
the aluminum color again.  After rinsing and drying several times, I assembled
the carbs.  After assembly, I used clear coat paint and sprayed the entire
assemble bodies, making sure I had free movement where I needed it.  They
turned out really nice. If I were to do it again, I would spend some time with
some aluminum polish and a dremel to really put a shine to them, then assemble
and clear coat to preserve the shine.
Good luck!
Andy
CD6521L