strengthening lower wishbone mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: strengthening lower wishbone mounts
From: lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:55:22 -0500
Hi Folks
I have a '71.  I just received the gusset strengthening kit from TRF (6 pieces)
 My question(s) are regarding the text of Roger Williams "How to restore" book
page 65.
#1 He states that after welding on the gussets "you should ensure that every
tapped hool is clear; some drilling and re-tapping is inevitable"  What is he
talking about?  I haven't welded these on yet, but I can't see that this
process will affect in tapped holes.  Am I missing something?
#2  Has anyone fabricated/installed the stiffening plate  described  as
"securely attach rack/cross-member front susp. bracket togeter"  on page 62
D5-4?  I have cut these out, but have not installed.  Is this worth doing?
Will it in any way interfere with the rack?
#3  My car already has one stiffener intalled on the rear bracket(posterior
aspect) Is this stock, or added by PO
#4  Regarding hubs.  On page 129, Mr. Williams goes into some detail about
rebuilding front hubs, and the installation of bearings.  The bearing kit I
received from TRF has a felt seal that is seated in a metal "holder".  Does
this need to be cut down to fit as described by Mr. Williams?  Also, can anyone
tell me what an "interference fit" is regarding the outer bearing ring.  Any
advice about reassembling hubs would be helpful.  This seems straight forward
to me, but I'm concerned I'm missing something.
Sorry for the long posting
Joe Davis