Re: dashpot oil ???

To: Frank Montalbano <flmont@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: dashpot oil ???
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:18:32 -0500
Hi Frank,

It has to do with acceleration.

These are Constant Depression Carburetors. That doesn't mean they will
constantly make the owner depressed, but some might think that. It means
when you open or close the the throttle plate (accelerator), the air
valve rises/falls to increase/decrease the volume of air passing over
the fuel jet. It keeps the Air Fuel mixture constant at all times, by
keep the depression (vacuum) over the fuel jet constant at all times.

The problem is that when you accelerate, you would like a slightly
richer mixture momentarily. The oil in the dash pot slows the rate at
which the air value rises, thus increasing the depression (vacuum) over
the fuel jet, making the mixture richer for a for a short time.
Eventually the air valve rises sufficiently far enough to maintain the
constant depression (vacuum) over the fuel jet, and the Air/Fuel mixture
returns to normal.

Don Malling