Water in ignition coil

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water in ignition coil
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:15:07 -0500
Yes, it reads funny, but that's what I found.  Either it's supposed to
be there and I don't have a clue, or somehow water seeped into my coil
or condensation filled it up.  My new frame was occupying the garage
so my TR250 sat in the driveway for a couple days.  Unfortunately,
those couple of days had steady and cold rain.  When I tried to start
the car Saturday, the starter turned the engine, but it wouldn't
spark.  Tonight I found power from the alternator to the coil, but
could not get a spark at the end of one of the leads.  I unplugged the
coil-to-dist. wire and put my electric probe into the top of the coil
and turned the engine over.  No lighting of the probe.  By this time
the coil had gotten very hot.  I removed and shook it for some reason
and heard liquiid inside.  I undid the screw on the top of the coil
and fluid was released under pressure.  I then shook it upside several
times and continued to get fluid out.  Now it's in the garage drying.

Now I need answers.  Is the coil supposed to have fluid in it and did
I just commit an environmental crime by dumping it on my lawn?  If
it's not supposed to have fluid in it, how in the world did it get
there?  Lucky for me I threw out the coil that came in the car when I
installed this new, Lucas Sport coil.  More support for having a
policy of never throwing anything away.

In need of help.
Andy
CD6521L