Re: Towing my LBC

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing my LBC
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 10:26:12 -0500
List,

I have had several responses to my note. All say towing my TR250/MGB on
a trailer with a 3.0L V6 Ranger will work. Obviously not as well as with
something larger, but not dangerous -- as long as the trailer has
brakes.

However, I would feel better about all this if I had some insight as to
why the same truck -- same engine -- same 4 wheel drive -- same axle
ratio, but with a automatic rather than 5 speed has a much higher weight
rating: 3,820# rather tha 2,360# max trailer weight and 7,500# rather
than 6,000# GCWR.

I know towing is harder on a clutch than on a torque converter, but is
that all there is to it? Any thought?

Thanks again to all who answered. I guess I just like to know the "why"
of things if I can. If I think it's just the clutch, and it's really
something else, maybe I could cause myself some trouble.

Don Malling