Re: Sinter or Silica?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sinter or Silica?
From: HalMorton@webtv.net (Harold M. Morton)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:36:18 -0600 (CST)
Dick, Bob, Mark, et al-                                 First the
disclaimer- I`m not a metallurgist, materials engineer, or anything
approaching those professions- But my job at a large shipyard has
afforded me the opportunity to learn a few esoteric metalworking facts.
Sintering basically involves compacting metal powders into precision
dies under great pressure (30,000 - 60,000 psi), then heating the
resulting parts to below the melting point of the material, "fusing"
them.                                                           Silicon
bronze is an alloy of copper and the non-metallic element silicon, with
smaller amounts of other metals.                   Any good dictionary
can help clarify the differences in silicon, silicone, and silica.
If you`re interested in the sintering process, this site has a " not too
technical" description.  www.sterlingsintered.com/sintered-metal-al.htm
I hope I haven`t bored anyone, or insulted anyone`s intelligence.

Hal Morton                                                  Pascagoula,
MS