RE: Poor dash lighting

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>, "'Don Becker'" <dr.becker@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: Poor dash lighting
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:39:50 -0800
Look at this website http://www.myroadster.net/led.asp they discuss
several LED lamps , although mostly for exterior applications.

Chicago Miniature
(
http://www.chml.com/electric/display.cfm?type=led&style=LEDsDiscrete&Subst
yle=T-1_3/4White ),   DialLight, and SPC all make cartridge/leaded style
LEDs  the problem will be mounting them for maximum light use.  I'm
looking at using the High-Intensity White with a modified panel bezel to
replace the entire lamp assembly on the instruments.

If you use LEDs make sure that they have a built in limiting resistor, or
that you use an external one.  Assuming 5MA per lamp at 13 volts the
resistor should be about 2700 ohms and 1/8 watt.  Other wise no limiting
resistor means a one time use really bright lamp

steve

tr6@kc4sw.com