Cam lobe problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Cam lobe problem
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:07:08 -0800 (PST)
John Lumia cited the following problem:

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:04:25 -0700
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Subject: camshaft question, 1st car

OK so I got a reground crankshaft, put it in and notice that the cam
lobes arent really centered in the lifter holes.  In fact, a couple of
them have the edge of the lobe practically in the center of the lifter
hole, and as a result some of the offset lobe doesnt even contact the
lifter .  Compared it to the original cam and it looks about the same.
Is this intentional

John,

I know little about cam dynamics however from previous discussions you may want
to check to see if the cam is going all of the way into the bore hole.  Past
discussions on this net mentioned that sometimes, usually after a complete
rebuild involving the replacement of all of the "freeze plugs", the plug at the
rear of the block cam hole is pressed into the block too far thus keeping the
cam from going all of the way into the engine.  If this is the case you should
have had problems getting the locating plate that secures the front of the cam
to the block to bolt up properly.  The fix is easy, just tap the plug out a
little bit and refit the cam.  Just an idea, of course YMMV.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6