RE: Valve lift and lateral forces on the valve guides

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, 6-Pack
Subject: RE: Valve lift and lateral forces on the valve guides
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:17:54 -0800
        Don:

        The smaller lateral valve loadings are only part of the advantage.
The frictional losses associated with rotating the rocker around
the rocker shaft also are eliminated, and the frictional losses
at the rocker tip are eliminated.
        The net result is more power by virtue of the reduced
losses. Reduced lateral loadings on the valves and extended
valve guide wear are just gravy. If you are a racer, you also
appreciate the fact that roller rockers can function with
reduced or no lubrication, which means a bullet proof top end.
        Roller rockers also tend to be much more accurate, so
that cylinder to cylinder matching is improved. This allows
you to push the whole setup to the hairy edge of detonation
without one cylinder acting up before the others. This is
improved margin for 'pushing the envelope' for the gear heads
out there.
        The disadvantage is cost, as always.

        Cheers,

        Vance