Re: TR6 blocks sleeved

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 blocks sleeved
From: "Phil Parcells" <cougardb@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:15:52 -0500
Berry,
I have a TR4A, so am somewhat versed in the details of that machine. So I
can explain that half of the story:

Yes, all TR engines are sleeved. It is a design feature that was purposely
done. The original TR2-TR4A engines were 4-cylinder, and were leveraged off
a Massey-Ferguson Tractor engine that Triumph's engine factory Standard
Vanguard also had the contract to build. The block is cast with bores
significantly larger than the piston size. The Wet-liners (or sleeves) fit
into these bores and are precision-matched to the pistons. In this way tight
tolerances can be met, without trying to maintain it at the foundry or
engine factory. Also, you'll never have to bore a TR2-TR4A engine, since the
sleeves are designed to be removable - just replace the liner/piston
combination when necessary. These earlier TR engines are called "Wet
sleeved", meaning the coolant actually comes in contact with the outside of
the sleeve.

Then in 67, the TR5/250 was introduced. It has an entirely different design
inline 6-cylinder "Dry Sleeved" engine. The TR6 engine is leveraged highly
off of this TR5/250 design. And at this point, I'll let someone more
knowledgeable take over.

Phil