oil light

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: oil light
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:05:28 EST
Listers:

I have the minor handicap of not having a useful dipstick for my 1970 TR6 PI.
 The dipstick was replaced by a previous owner with a pseudo-dipstick used to
send an oil temp signal to an aftermarket oil temp gauge.  The system
actually works well, and the gauge was chosen to match all the other small
gauges in the dash (replaces the dash light rheostat), so it isn't obviously
out of place.

Anyway, tonight I drove the car and the little green oil light on the tach
started glowing.  The oil pressure gauge showed between 50 and 70 psi, which
is what it always used to show without the light on.  The car seems to be
running perfectly.  The light is brighter at idle and dimmer when I rev the
motor and the oil pressure goes up to 70 psi or even 80, but it never goes
off.  The owner's handbook suggests checking the oil level if the green light
goes on.  Unfortunately, the dipstick is just covered with a light coating of
oil from top to bottom, no matter how I check it.  It doesn't help that the
oil is new, and nearly clear.

I added one quart of oil without change, then a second.  Same result.  I
hesitate to add more, for fear of overfilling the crankcase.

I will send for a proper dipstick tomorrow from a vendor.  In the mean time,
any suggestions for determining the proper oil level and what is causing the
light to come on?  I can't imagine that it is low oil, or 2 quarts would have
fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Michael Samuels
1970 TR6 PI