PI on 5 cylinders, again!

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>
Subject: PI on 5 cylinders, again!
From: "Derek Graham" <saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:03:31 -0000
Michael,

Are you sure it is an ignition problem? From the symptons you describe it
sounds like an injector with an air lock or one on the way out. This can be
easily checked by undoing the injector line cleats and with the engine running
feeling each line in turn for a pulse. If no pulse then that is the line with
the misfire, then stop the engine and take out the injector. If the end of the
injector is loose or can be moved then the "O" ring has failed. If not loose
then check the spray pattern by first placing the end of the injector into a
glass jar and start the engine. If it dribbles then you have an airlock. This
can be bled by holding the injector vertical until all of the air is expelled.
Best to have someone with you when doing this or at the very least have a fire
extinguisher at the ready and make sure that there is absolutely no chance of
any fuel being sprayed onto a hot exhaust. Other basic PI checks that you can
carry out are as follows 1) is the excess fuel lever returning to the off
position 2) is the injection timing as per book 3) is the excess fuel return
pipe clear of obstruction ( Check by blowing through and you should hear
bubbles in the fuel tank) 4) are the manifold butterflys balanced. Other
checks that can be carried out are on fuel pressure & manifold depression but
you will need a 120psi guage and a vacuum guage.
What plugs do you use? I have found NGK6E VG grooved to work best on the
unleaded fuel that we have over here in the UK. The plugs being light grey/tan
under all conditions. My experience with electronic ignition is that it is
great when it works however there is no in between and when it fails the car
doesn't run at all. I run it on mine but keep the points/condensor in the car
just in case.
Hope that this helps.

Regards
Derek Graham