Re: RE: TR-6 performance (Q&A)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: TR-6 performance (Q&A)
From: "Nathaniel Steiner" <nathaniel_steiner@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:35:59 -0700
I attempted to answer all of the earlier questions, but somehow, my post did
not make it onto the list.  !@#$%^ Hotmail perhaps, this list is far too
valuable for my spambox... gotta change that.

Anyhow, I will try again, with this question, as it seems most of the
original 12 have now been answered with responses close to those I would
have provided ( I may add some of my own thoughts at a later time).

My TR6, an early 73, seems to produce little more meaningful than noise
beyond 4200 RPM.  The factory published 4500 as a peak figure, and given the
pathetic stock timing curve, I have no reason to doubt that.  I have done
considerable tuning with ignition advance, making great gains in drivability
and fuel economy in the 1500-4000 RPM range.  No matter what I have done,
fuel or ignition wise, 4200 seems to be about the limit of the stock cam.
Note should be made here that I run basically straight pipes for exhaust
(too loud) and modified individual filters with a 3/8" radius funnel into
the carbs.  The filter mods make noticeable increases over no filters at
all.  Optimum acceleration times seem to come by shifting at 4800 or so.  No
point in revving to redline with the stock setup.

I bet a stock TR engine might still be making some power at 8000 RPM when
the big bang theory would dictate no further power would ever be produced by
that engine.  Didn't try that though!

Nate Steiner
CF140U

P.S.  Here's one for you Jim, and others as well.  Why does the same basic
gearbox shift nicer in a TR2, 3, or early 4 than in a TR6.  Lets leave the
hydraulic issues out of it, there is at least one other reason.  Sorry, no
free parts from me (but I'll make a heckuva deal on an 1800 DOHC Fiat
motor).