RE: Answers to TR6 questions

To: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>, "6 Pack"
Subject: RE: Answers to TR6 questions
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:39:36 -0800
Shane,

I loved the answers, but thought I'd throw some more haze in the way

In my mind electronic ignition was developed first to get a hotter spark.
My dad put together one back in '67 or '68 for our Plymouth.  He found one
problem in the spark coil though,  the fire was so "hot" it would arc over
the top of the spark coil.  Now days, driven by the left coast again,
emission requirements are so tight that pulse to pulse timing is a major
factor in controlling what comes out the tail pipe.  This, of course, has
no relation to any increase/decrease of power out of the engine.

I personally don't think the manufacturers ever thought about costs (or is
it profits)  Again thoughts go to Plymouth and my starter solenoid.  It
broke one night and having a lathe we thought about building a new
contact.  Got the thing apart and found it had a 5/16-18 stud attached to
a penny sized puck that in turn overlapped 1/16" with the other side of
the switch.  Planned breakage at it's best!!

The air pump was put on to take out unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust
stream.  The concept was VERY hot, low oxygen exhaust exposed to a "oxygen
rich" external air flow would self-ignite and result in more complete
combustion.  Then they started to think about Nitrogen-Oxides and
everything changed again.  This was before the Catalytic Converter era.

If a car has a 5 speed gearbox isn't it a "real 5 speed"???  I think it's
more important to look at what is the ultimate performance target for the
car, also what can the power plant handle.  A 12 cylinder engine with
smaller displacement/cylinder can turn higher sustained revs and has
different power bands (see I do read your stuff Shane) than a 6 cylinder
large displacement/cylinder engine.  My thoughts here turn to my old Vol.
Fire Department and our number 2 Engine.  Came out of Pennsylvania with a
870 cube straight 6.  Top speed 55 but it would carry it's 35000 pounds
straight up at that speed.

I liked the math on the tire size, but one thing I found out when putting
the new tires on mine.  I got a "old guy" at the shop.  He'd actually sold
tires to TR6 customers when the cars were new.  He went through all of the
tires they had in 215/70-15 to come up with one that had the correct
outside diameter he thought it should have.  Did a good job though
according to the GPS my speed is only +/- 0.2 mph

This really is the FUN part of the list, hope everyone had a Happy
Thanksgiving

Steve