RE: TR-6 performance

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 performance
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:45:51 -0500
I am "SOOOO" sorry...If I hurt any body's feel bads...You ought to see
what the "Jim" show is like "live in concert"!!! Funny...none of my
friends or neighbors seem to complain... Must be an internet thing! I
stand with what I have said... Anyway, on with the responses...you knew
it was coming...didn't you!!!

Dick Wrote,

Jim S.---It appears that you have a lot to offer the list. Lose the
attitude, and maybe some of us will take you seriously. You would
surprised to find that many of us even know the answers your 12 step
program. As written, I doubt that any would bother.

And then some sleepy Dweeb interjected:

Dick,

Right on the money.

Gary
'73

Dick,

On occasion I may be able to offer help to a fellow mechanic...nothing
more! I don't have an attitude and I could care less whether or not
anyone takes me seriously.

I would not be the least bit surprised to find that the answers to the
questions "were" submitted by list participants. By the way I did "NOT"
lay out a 12 step program. Just correctly answer one question!!!

I you don't want to bother an attempt at answering a question...Fine!
Don't make others feel that they can't! Some will...and they'll get
ROLLER ROCKERS!!!

Kai M. Radicke, I will grant you a set of rockers simply because you
were the first to respond! I suggest that you learn your "TR" inside and
out...!!!

Mr. Palmer,

I am happy that you enjoyed my post!!!...you have also been awarded a
set of ROLLER ROCKERS. I am from Raleigh...20 years...My parents live
nearby...I plan on sending out these Items just before Christmas...Maybe
we will install your rockers together...Just make sure you have RUM!!! I
will need antifreeze in the frozen tundra...:>)

Best Regards,

Jim

Unfortunately, Patrick wrote,

Honestly, do you know the answer or are you looking for the answers? If
you know the answer...why are you asking? Is this some sort of a test? I
remember in grade school when we get a star on your name when you get
the answers correct.

Yes Patrick, I am looking for the answers to my own questions...Please
Forrest Run... No Patrick this isn't some sort of test!!! It's a hurry
the hell up and get to the finish line kind of thing ... I love the fact
that my Rockers have been compared to those tin foil colored
stars...I'll send you a 12" aluminum star just so you don't feel left
out...

Jim...

Hugh Fader Wrote:

You guys have forgotten the most important issue. Who gets the free
roller rockers? Let's give it a shot. ;-)

12) If the piston to be fired is approaching compression...(15 degrees
BTDC)... and you have the timing set to fire at 10 degrees Before
TDC...why doesn't the piston travel back down...moving in the direction
from which it just came...?

First of all, the piston is not approaching compression. Compression is
nearly completed at this point. The simple answer is that the force on
the top of the piston is less than the force on the bottom.

Forces on the bottom of the piston are: crankcase pressure acting on the
piston bottom, inertia from the spinning crank transmitted through the
connecting rod, and in a multi-cylinder, forces from other pistons on
their expansion strokes transmitted through the crank and rod. Oh, I
almost forgot the inertia of the piston itself.

Forces on the top of the piston are: pressure due to the compressed gas
acting on the piston top and pressure due to combustion.

Now, in an optimally timed combustion event (MBT), peak cylinder
pressure occurs about 12-14 degrees after top dead center. The
combustion pressure has yet to even get started developing at ignition.
So the force due to combustion cannot overcome the other forces at this
point.

Do I get the rockers?

- Hugh

Mr. Fader,

You most certainly DO!!! And a fine explanation I must say.

Jim Swarthout

SOMEBODY forgot to take their medication this morning!!

Play nice with us and we'll play nice with you. If you are such a
genius, maybe you can contribute more to the discussions you mention
other than just a tirade, M'kay? Do keep in mind that what's right for
you may be horribly wrong for me. There is room in the world for
different opinions.

Mr. Franks,

SPARE ME the SYRUP...

(And if you think points are the modern answer to performance and
dependability, we certainly disagree.)

Well...you dug your own grave here!!! Let's hear your thoughts on this
one!

Yes Mr. Franks, I can hardly wait!!!

BTW, lots of folks have a bad day and hit the send key when they should
have hit delete. I'm certainly guilty. Hopefully we'll hear back from a
kinder, gentler Jim S. in the future.

Yes I have thought about this! You have heard of mad cow disease right?
I think I may have contracted a mild case of Mad Turkey disease...From
Thursday through Saturday I have been offered nothing to eat but
Turkey...

Or, you can just take your pop quiz and your roller rockers and put
them..... back in your garage.

Mr. Franks,

I'm all teary eyed...I think...no not really...drink Coke play again...

Jim...

Hi Jim S.,

I believe this list is for a free exchange of opinions and ideas about
our cars without fear of being criticized.  Since I've been subscribing
to it for over a year, I've never read anyone calling someone else an
"idiot".  I don't know if I'm speaking for others but as far as I'm
concerned we don't need that borish attitude in the club.  By the way .
. .  I'm the guy that called my tranny  "archaic by design".  I'll go a
step further  . . . it's a piece of junk.  But I would never call you
names.  I hope next time you can be more gracious . . . you comments
only reflect back on you.

Al Graffam   74 TR6  CT.    (almost finished installing my van den Akker
conversion Celica tranny . . . it will be like stirring paint as Dick T.
would say)

Well...Well Mr. Graffam I guess you have already said it... I believe
this list is for a free exchange of opinions and ideas about our cars
without fear of being criticized. So act upon your own convictions!!!
Stop Whining!!!

Mr. Graffam,

How many TR Gearboxes have you rebuilt?
I'm a "show me" kind of person.
If you don't know what you're talking
about from..."first hand experience"... don't interject...!

Mark Hooper Wrote:

Hey Jim, perhaps you should cut back on the Tabasco sauce at dinner
time, its making you a bit testy... ;^)

Mad Turkey disease... Don't you know...

You know what I like about this list is that while no one person knows
the "accurate" answer to all of your subjects, I'd be willing to bet
that the members of the list could, in concert, answer them quite
satisfactorily.

When I bought my TR6 (1986) my best friend picked up an X-1/9. We both
worked on both cars. I'll tell you people love to bitch about Lucas
electrics, but the TR6 is simplicity itself compared to the rat's nest
of wiring in the Fiat. I have quite a few old photos of us with the
wiring undone. Utterly unreal that such a small car could have so much
wire in it.

The fun thing was that with the passenger seat removed, the Fiat was the
only car I ever saw where you could tune the timing while driving by
reaching through that access port behind the seat into the engine bay.
Fun little car.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

Mark,

After reading your post I went out and looked behind the passenger seat!
The spare tire!!! Clever Italians!!! I suppose the distributor access
panel is behind the wheel. I had no idea that there was an access panel
here! Would have made removing the distributor so much easier. I ended
up using my torch to create a sort of half moon wrench to get the
distributor hold down loose.

Yes: I am certain that for those who would like a set of roller rockers;
none of the questions would be too difficult.

Best Regards,

Jim

The fiat was a fun car but putting the aftermarket stereo in one was a
real job.  No room for big, fat fingers

Steve

Steve,

My "78" X 1/9 did not come with a radio! Where exactly can an
aftermarket radio be located!!! From what I have read, the later models
had A/C and a Radio. I can kind of figure out where to put the unit, but
then where can the speakers be mounted! I think that the car is just too
tight for accessories!

Nick Gemas Wrote:

" A TR-6 properly tuned...suspension first...then engine...performs
wonderfully!!! Well beyond the capabilities of most drivers!!!"

Yea Right.

Well Nick I guess you are destined to F1 Fame...Keep me posted!!!