RE: End float

To: "'6 Pack List (E-mail)'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: End float
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:49:02 -0700

Ouch! That's a lot of effort :-)

If you have one the el cheapo gauge holders which does not have enough arms,
fear not. What you can do to avoid dismantling all this stuff at the front
is this:

Get a piece of steel which will not flex easily, preferably an L
cross-section. The bottom of the L can be very small, just enough to limit
the flex. I use a piece which is essentially a very tall L about 2" tall x
1/4" wide x 10" long. Then get a small strong magnet. Position the steel
using the magnet on the crank pulley such that when underneath the car you
are able to set up the dial gauge so that the measurement can be made.
You'll just have to play around with this to get the right arrangement, it
helps if the car is on your oil change ramps to give you more room
underneath. The gauge is sensitive enough that it will not cause the steel
to flex. However, you'll need an assistant to press the clutch pedal while
you watch the gauge (and reset the crank pulley, do a few measurements to
get an average, mine are all pretty close whenever I do this).

HTH

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO