Re: What is stuff on timing cover?

To: rengrave@netzero.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is stuff on timing cover?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:40:28 EST
I am going to say that this is a sound deadener that was original to all
TR's.  I have a NOS TR6 cover with the nice, white bumpy stuff still on it in
like new condition.  I have no clue what it's make up is.  I have made a few
weak attempts to duplicate it while restoring some TR's without much success.
 I also could not figure out why so many TR's do not have any of this
material left. It must get brittle and fall off after a time or a lot of guys
have removed it during restoration.  The TRA Judging Standards & Restoration
Guidelines manual for early TR's refers to it as a sound deadener that is
usually light gray in color.
Cheers,
Darrell