solid steering mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: solid steering mounts
From: theedge@cts.com
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:47:47 -0700
Well, I am happy to say that I got back to working on my car.  My
fly wheel is being lightened so I needed to finish the steering
mounts.
I removed the standard steering mounts and the rubber looked
good.  But I had bought the solid ones.

Question, what is the little round plastic insert on the top of the
steering axle underneath the mount on the passenger's side?

When I bought the mounts from my LBC mechanic, Randy Zoeller,
he reworked the solid mount on that side so a piece of rubber with a
hose clamp can hold that insert in.

When the mounts were off, I saw that the steering wheel moved
quite freely.  I would think that the tow in would not be effected
when the mounts are replaced.  But how do you align the front
wheels to the steering wheel?
Could the lock-to-lock travel not be centered if I moved the steering
wheel while the mounts were loose?

Thanks in advance.
Alan

Alan & Debbie Lindner