Finally, almost back on the road

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Finally, almost back on the road
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:06:59 -0400
No questions here.  Just satisfaction after firing up my TR250 tonight.  After
pulling one rear end and having it cleaned with new seals installed, I
reinstalled it to find the same vibrating metal noise I was having before.  I
had used a local mechanic who was reputable, but was not able to properly
diagnose my differential problem while he had it.  Fortunately, he only charged
me $75 for the clean and seal job.  I took the car over to my regular Triumph
mechanic and he took the time to drive it with me for about 15 minutes, then
put it up on his lift until we could duplicate the noise and pin point it to
the rear end.  I didn't want to drive it anymore, but I had to get home, so I
cautiously drove it the 20 miles back to my garage.  I pulled the diff again,
along with the stub axles and the drive shaft.  I took those four items back to
my mechanic, and after contemplating changing to a different ratio rear end
(I'm still considering it, Stefan), I decided to purchase a refurbished used
one he had on a recently wrecked TR6.  I had him change out all the u-joints
and clean up the axles with new gaiters and upon his suggestion, add a grease
fitting to each of the rear hubs.  While he had those parts, I ordered and
installed a new rear engine mount, replaced the rear transmission seal,
replaced both emergency brake cables and body grommets, and also dismantled,
cleaned and painted the rear brake drums with new fit kits for the wheel
cylinders.  I also replaced the damper to trailing arm links along with the
rear spring pads.  I swapped sides with the road springs as a short cut to a
stiffer ride.  I think I stretched out each step with using my tap and dye set
on nuts and bolts I would be reusing, but when I put them back in, all the crud
and rust had been cleared, letting them go on like new.
Tonight, I got it all back together, having started Sunday evening.  I got the
rear end installed by myself with my floor jack, the last two exhaust pieces
removed, and some luck with my aligning the diff with the studs as I raised the
jack.  Since Hugh Fader seems to have been tackling he same problems of late, I
thought I would share.  All I have left to do is bleed the brakes with the help
of a friend tomorrow and rewire the R axle gaiter that came loose when I pushed
the axle through the trailing arm.  A hair dryer is a valuable tool when you
have to fold back a stiff gaiter, by the way!  Don't feel bad about me not
being able to drive it tonight after getting it all together.  There is a
steady rain here in North Carolina.  I started the car up in my garage and let
is purr for a while.  Now I'm eager for the rain to clear tomorrow so I, too,
can have the "whine free" driving experience.
Andy
TR250
Greensboro, NC