TR6 A/C follow up and thanks

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 A/C follow up and thanks
From: twgeiger@hiwaay.net
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:00:30 -0500 (CDT)
I have been tasked with installing the aftermarket factory a/c units on 2
TR6's.  I completed the first one this past weekend and I just wanted to thank
the folks on this list.  Many of you emailed pictures of your installation so I
could get the installation correct.  Brian Z. also sent me a hardcopy of the
factory installation manual which was a great help in getting the wiring sorted
out on the 25 year old a/c units.

The a/c unit works surprisingly well with very little power loss on the
engine.  A few things learned that I thought may of interest to those
considering this:

1) This was a dealer add on.  They were supplied with the same manual I used
but I've seen pictures of cars that don't have the components mounted in the
same place as the manual suggests.  I think the dealer used the manual as a
guide only, installation techniques seem vary from dealer to dealer.
2) Replace all the lines.  The original quarter century old ones will leak
anyway.
3) A great replacement for the receiver/drier is Factory Air 3362.  Same size,
etc. Only difference is it uses 3/8" male flare fittings rather than the clamp
on.  The flare fittings work better and are less prone to leakage.
4) The original condensor fan is a joke.  Use a modern 10" pusher fan.  They're
cheap, locally available and move a lot more air across the condensor.  Those
of you running an oil cooler will want to check your measurements because
clearances look like they would really get tight on the condensor fan.  The
second car has an oil cooler so I'll cross (or burn) that bridge when I get
there.
5) Drain the compressor and refill with synthetic "esther" oil.  This will
allow conversion to 134a if you feel so inclined.
6) I used a product called "Freeze 12", which is claimed to be a drop in
replacement for r-12.  Works pretty well producing good discharge air
temperatures and near r-12 pressures.  The second car I do (mine) will probably
be a full 134a conversion.  If it doesn't work out I can always go back
to "Freeze 12".

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Terry Geiger
1974 TR6