Leaking TR6 Head Gasket

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking TR6 Head Gasket
From: Robert Pindell <pinderg@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:49:30 -0500
Well, I have apparently a leaking head gasket in my 73 TR6.  The crankcase oil
level as seen on the dip stick was rising and when changing the oil and filter
the oil looked dark but very thick and there appeared to be some water in the
filter.  Any testing I should do before pulling the head?

If I'm going to pull the head, I need advice as to how to visually inspect the
head gasket to be sure it is the gasket, not a crack in head or block.

If the gasket shows the leak, I'll get the head checked for warpage and
replace.  If not, I'll get the head magnafluxed.  Reasonable steps?

Finally, is it worth getting hardened valves, valve guides and seats for
unleaded gas use, or can I get by with adding a lead additive as I have been
doing?  I'll check for signs of valve recession when the head is off, but I'm
not sure what I'm looking for.

Bob in Texas