Re: Tires

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:17:52 -0700
Sorry that my messages often do not have text.  Seems to be a problem
with one of my mail servers.
Anyway, I ran AVS intermediates for two years doing car club lapping
sessions [and daily driving].  I use 205x15x60 on the front and 215/60
on the rear [the 215s rubbed in the front].

The current Grassroots Motorsports Magazine [November 2002]  has a
review of "hot" street tires [and some R compound track tires].  For the
street they tested times [autocross track format, same car, two drivers,
many runs per tire] of 4 tires: The best times were on the most
expensive tire BF Goodrich g-Force T/a KDs, the next best [by .5 second
on a 41 second run for one driver and just .13 for the other driver]
were the Falken Azensis.  These cost $76 for 205/50 R15s versus $150 fro
the KD.  They also tested Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712s  [$58] and Hankook
Ventas.  These were slower by a second a second and a half. The R
compound [Hoosier, Kuhmos all 1.5 2 seconds faster than the Goodrich].
As side bars they described two other tires they got to test, but not at
the same time as the above: Kuhmo Exta MX [still slower than KD] and
Yokahama [the AVS ES100 which is the AVS Intermediate's replacement].
All prices are at Tire Rack I think.

I tore up one of my 205 intermediates on the last track day they saw
[now run 16 inch Kuhmo Eksta 700 type R and love them].  Just this
morning I ordered a replacement at $46 plus shipping from Tire Rack [I
use these for the street tires now].

Chuck

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]