RE: Pinning thrust washers

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Pinning thrust washers
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:20:41 -0400
Hi Dick.

It was necessary to do this to mine. The crank had milled out a slot in the
bearing cap already and the second thrust washer was needed just to hold the
other one in place. I'm not sure whether or not I would have done mine
otherwise. Having the larger bearing surface should slow down the wear, but
at a few thousand miles per year, how much wear can there be?

I and others I spoke with were mystified as to how the bearing could slip
out anyway. It did not appear to be extremely worn. The only theory I have
is the block flexes enough under some conditions to let it slip out. But
that seems pretty unlikely. I've been told to use the clutch when starting
the car and when idling in traffic to avoid this.

- Hugh