RE: Pinning TR6 thrust washers

To: "'Sally or Dick Taylor'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Pinning TR6 thrust washers
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:18:32 -0400
Dick,
I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 5 different TR6s and have
never had a thrust washer problem. I've rebuilt 3 engines and none had
abnormal wear in the thrust washers.
I don't know what this means, but there are a lot of high mileage Tr6s
out there with there thrust washers firmly in place. Why some engines
are plagued with problems in this area I don't know. Must be
manufacturing tolerances and driving styles or who knows what.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

Listers---With due respect to all owners who have come up with thrust
bearing  solutions beyond the norm, I must say that the original design
is not necessarily deficient. Metal should not be "scraping on metal."
(Engine oil comes into play here)

While I'm sure there are exceptions to this, I have found two cases that
the replacement thrust washers were installed backwards, with the
"grooved" sides facing the block, rather than the rotating crankshaft.
The grooves, as well as the special (.010 thick) alloy on these washers,
are meant to hold and distribute oil. Obviously, reversing them
nullifies the purpose and wear occurs much faster.

I write this only to remind other owners that one shouldn't think that
these washers need be modified to stay out of trouble. Given that the
standard washer is .092 thick, they're not likely to fall into the pan
because of normal wear. It should take a lot of miles for the end play
to exceed .015, if original clearance is set for .005 or so.  Washers
will NOT fall out with anything even close to this. (I use the .015 as
the time to replace them because this is about the time the alloy wears
off.) This normally takes in excess of 50,000 miles. Longer, when the
engine oil is well cared for.

I invite those who have owned their TR SIX since new, or can account for
the service history if purchased used, to report anything different.

Dick
'73