Re: another Kangol question

To: "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintas.com>,
Subject: Re: another Kangol question
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:41:02 -0500
 I've taken mine apart and you can remove the two screws on the side, not the
one with the red button, while keeping you hand on the cover and turn the
cover in a counter clock wise direction. Try just one complete turn. If you
have it off the car, remember the belt doesn't retract all the way, because
there's extra slack in it since it must go up from the floor to the wheel well
then back down to the floor.

 The springs there are two flat coiled springs in the housing which are under
some tension that allow the belt to be retracted. You can remove the black
cover without  fear of the spring shooting out or anything like that. It's not
that complex of a design. I was a little worried about taking mine apart, but
it's not that bad.
  Behind the black cover is a plastic circular housing which is open at both
ends. Two springs are in each half of the housing. One attaches to the black
cover plate ant the other attaches to the seat belt spindle. The one spring
for the black cover catches in a enter grove and the other for the spindle
catches on the flat spot at the spindle. Once this is done tension is put on
the springs by rotating it counter clock wise .

  The cover with the red button,  is removed with two screws. Then pop it off
and offer it some lube. The internals on this side won't come apart when the
cover is removed, but gears and lever mechanisms come apart w/ the removal on
3 circlips.

Hope this helps,

Richard
'69 in hibernation, but still working on those little details.