RE: accelerator pedal travel

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: accelerator pedal travel
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:44:20 -0500
I always assumed the purpose of allowing some slack in the linkage was
merely to ensure that the carbs always returned to their idle stops when you
took your foot off the gas pedal.

So I always set mine by feel -- turn the linkage so it's snug, then back it
off just a hair, then tighten -- which seems to work and doesn't result in
too much slop. (I'm sure other listers will jump in here if this is such bad
advice that it would set your engine on fire, or some such.)

another thing to check, though, is the nylon (?) bushings that hold the
horizontal rod in place that runs across the back of the engine compartment
and connects the gas pedal to the carb linkage. If those bushings are worn
or nonexistent (!), they also will create a lot of slop in the linkage.

The bushings are cheap but replacing them is a thoroughly unpleasant
business, and the topic of many threads ...

--Graham