Fuzzy door seals (long)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuzzy door seals (long)
From: sue & bob <kraeuter@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:00:01 -0400
Well, its been too long since I've stripped the body and I've forgotten
how the fuzzy door seals fit around the door opening, especially just
below the windscreen frame on the A-post.  When I install them on the
channel the door will not close fully.  (Yes the rubber part of the seal
points towards the door)  The seal appears to fit fine at the lower part
of the door but starts to interfere with the door up near the upper
hinge.  Also, the channel to which the seal is attached comes very close
to the top of the door when it is closed (without the seal in place).
 This doesn't seem correct.

By the way, I've spent alot of time aligning the door to the fenders and
the top of the door is not too close to the cowl beneath the windshield
frame - there's almost a 1/4 inch gap which is already too wide in my
opinion, so this doesn't appear to be the problem.

1.  I know this sounds like a stupid question but does the rubber
portion of the seal need to be removed from the fuzzy seal around the
area of the top of the door? (I don't think so)

2.  Should the installed fuzzy seal touch the side of the vinyl
dashboard crash pad? (to the right of the glove box)  If so, then maybe
the mounting flange for the seal needs to be pushed in towards the crash
pad to allow more room for the door to close.

3.  At the base of the windscreen frame at the edge of the top crash
pad, should the end of the rubber trim strip go inside the seal, or
should it be trimmed to meet it at the edge?

4.  At the top of the B-post, does the entire cross section of the fuzzy
seal fit underneath the chromed cap? (I think so)

One other question, when installing a new trim kit has anyone had to cut
the panel in front of the gas tank so that the top of the panel fits
flush to the top of the rear deck where the soft top mounting bar is
attached to the deck?  It doesn't seem right that it should protrude
above the body.  I bought the kit from TRF.

Sorry for the long post and questions but I don't have access to any TRs
in the area.

TIA,

Bob Kraeuter
'72 TR6  CC76363L