Differential replacement 3.7 to 3.45

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential replacement 3.7 to 3.45
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:45:57 -0400
Listers:
I have a TR250  whose drive train is getting incrementally improved.  After
having my differential torn down, the ring and pinion were shot, so the
question of rebuild vs. replacement came up.  Just the part expense for ring,
pinion, bearings and seals was close to $500 plus the labor cost to rebuild of
$200 by my more than competent LBC mechanic.  (He must be giving me a volume
discount since he rebuilt my tranny and is selling me a frame, too).  I asked
about changing to the lower ratio differential and he told me that I would be a
bit more sluggish at take off, but would use fewer rpms to achieve higher
speeds.  It would essentially act as an overdrive once I got up to speed.
Anyone ever do this changeover without the 150 hp of the PI TR5's and 6's?  How
much did it effect low end performance?  Rimmer Bros has 3.45:1 ratio
differentials for sale for about $650 plus $120 shipping.  I'm thinking that it
might be a good move.  Any opinions out there?
Andy
TR250
Greensboro, NC